[mythtv-users] Problem with wife-friendly feature

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 05:27:14 UTC 2004

I've been trying to get the wife-friendly power button to work. I found that
creating a symlink in .kde/AutoStart to irexec wasn't working for me, so I
put this line in /etc/rc.local:

irexec --daemon /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc

Problem is that I can't get the script to start mythfrontend. I can get it
to kill it and I know the shell script is getting executed because of that
and because I'm echoing some stuff to a /tmp file from it. My shell script
looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
PROG=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
STATUS=`ps -e | grep mythfrontend | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
then
    ( $PROG & )
else
    killall $PROG
fi
echo "mythrestart.sh executed at `date`" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
echo "STATUS = $STATUS" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
/usr/bin/mythfrontend
exit 0

When mythfrontend is running it correctly kills it, but when it's not
running it doesn't start it up and I don' t understand why. One other point
that may be relevant here is that when this gets executed mythbackend resets
its idle timer which I presume means it thinks it saw a frontend connect -
but where is the frontend, 'cos I can't see it?

TIA,
Phill