[mythtv-users] audio problems using mythtv

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 5 03:53:14 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 18:29, Joe Buhr wrote:
> I'm not sure where to begin with this one...
>
> Fedora Core 3
>
> Video Configuration (seems to be working):
> Hauppage 250 - tuner input
> Nvidia GeForce 4 MX - S-Video output
>
> Audio Configuration:
> Using the soundcard on the motherboard... aliased to snd-via82xx
> I have a cable between my TV and the mythtv box converting from the
> on-board (mini head-phone jack) to my TV's RCA inputs.
>
> When just accessing the sound through the OS, the audio to the TV works
> fine: $ /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
>
> When I fire up the myth frontend, however, there is no audio.  If I
> unplug the converter between the TV and the mythtv box and use
> headphones instead, everything works fine... even through mythtv.
>
> Any ideas?

Yup. For some reason that still escapes me, some boxes (like mine) auto-load
the snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss ALSA modules for OSS emulation (which is
what myth uses by default), while others do not. Just slap 'modprobe
snd-pcm-oss' and 'modprobe snd-mixer-oss' in /etc/rc.local, and you should be
fine.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com