[mythtv-users] [OT] Recommended Motherboard/Chipset

Michael Segulja msegulja at lmdcs.com
Sat Dec 4 15:47:50 UTC 2004

I know this question has probably been asked a million times, but
motherboards and chipsets change so fast, I'm curious to see what you
would recommend as a good motherboard for Myth if you were going to buy
one today?  Also, which chipset?  It seems like the NForce2 would be the
best support for both Linux and Myth?  What about NForce3?

I already have a Myth frontend/backend box running fairly well, but it
could be better so I want to upgrade.  I'll probably keep my current
system as the backend and set up the new system as the frontend.  I'm
not interested in all the peripherals right now, just what
motherboard/chipset I should go with.  I want to be able to run digital
audio to my amp so the amp can decode Dolby Digital 5.1, so that's the
only requirement really.  I'm not sure if it's best to do that with the
built-in audio if it supports it, or go with an add-in sound card like
an Audigy or something?

Thanks for your advice.  Hopefully I'm not too much off-topic here but I
know there are those of you out there running stable Myth systems?
What's the secret?  My current system is a Gigabyte motherboard w/ AMD
2100+ and 512MB RAM, and it crashes a lot while watching live tv or
recording tv.

Anyway, thanks again.
Michael

--