[mythtv-users] Recording a tape to DVD

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 14:58:36 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:14:54 -0500, Chris
<mythtvusers.x.kyanos at spamgourmet.org> wrote:
>  I'm working on a Christmas project that will have me use my myth box to
> record some old family videos (on VHS tapes) to DVD.  I've seen lots of
> messages on the list about recording shows to DVD, but since this is
> coming from a tape (and will be manually started & stopped), it seems
> like my best approach is to use ivtv's test_ioctl to set my PVR250 to
> DVD-compatible settings and then "cat /dev/video > file.mpg" .  (I can
> then edit the file in LVE, avidemux, or something similar.)  Involving
> myth seems like it would be more complicated than it needs to be, as I
> will require manual control over the recordings and can't take advantage
> of all the other things that Myth can do automatically.
>
>  However, I thought I'd first check here to see if anyone had done
> something similar or had any clever ideas on improving my approach.  Any
> suggestions are welcome.

I am in exactly the same situation. I have a suitcase full of family
videos, and I plan to convert them to DVD. I have yet to come up with
an efficient and elegant method.

 Please do keep us informed if you come up with a good solution.

Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003