[mythtv-users] Recording with search rules

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Dec 3 20:31:28 UTC 2004

Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com wrote:
>> Myth already has this.  Any search can be saved as a recording
>> rule. Myth's search based recording exceeds the capabilities of
>> "Wish List".
>
> Can you explain how this works?

Sure, go to Schedule Recordings->Search Words->(any) . Edit the
keyword or criteria until the result list matches the things you
want to record. From the popup click "Record". You will see a
normal recording options page with "<keyword> (<type> Search)"
as the title such as "Junkyard%Wars (Title Search)"

> I have been trying to figure out how to set up a search as a
> recording rule for awhile now, and haven't had any luck.  Maybe its
> documented somewhere?

The documentation would be "click the 'Record' button" =).
If you had no luck perhaps you've been trying to set a record
rule for one of the titles on the resulting list. This would, of
course, set a rule for that title. When you like the results,
press "M"enu to bring up the popup where you can click the Record
button to set a rule for that search criteria.

--  bjm