[mythtv-users] call for people with experience with Silverstone HTPC cases

wmunson at rochester.rr.com wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 17:31:16 UTC 2004

> What specific harware might be a problem.  I would guess that the
> biggest thing would be the motherboard but I am assuming that the mobo
> is just a standard mobo.  But then again i have never had the need to
> build a computer from scratch so I might be missing something.

Well one thing I can think of is that there are at least a dozen mobo shape standards as well as differences in the way the board connects to the power supply. That OEM system you want to tear apart may not have a standard board installed at all. There may also be issues with where the cables have to plug into the mobo. Some compact systems use a riser system to make the plugin cards fit. These do not transfer well into your new case.

My suggestion is to purchase a mobo, case and power supply that all match and then transfer the processor and extras from the old system.