[mythtv-users] Several General Questions

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Thu Dec 2 16:45:45 UTC 2004

On 2 Dec 2004 at 4:48, Brian Pilnick wrote:

> I've been researching HTPC's for a while and I think I'm ready to build
> a dedicated box for my parents.

---Wait, let me get my Flame Suit on---

My current MythTV box ran flawlessly for 7 months then suddenly stopped working...
never did bother to understand why, because it was time to upgrade. A different box ran
just fine before that one. Personally, I love it, and I love tinkering with it... I don't even
own a TV set anymore, I have computers scattered all over the house, BUT:

If your Mom's not fairly computer literate, then MythTV is not for her.  I don't think
MythTV is ready for primetime. It's too easy to put the computer into a state where it
doesn't act the way she thinks it should, then she'll be lost, and this will happen just
when she's trying to set it up to record or watch something that she thinks is important,
and then she's going to say to herself "Why did Brian get me into this mess?".

Running a MythTV box (or 2 or 3) is a far cry from punching-up a few buttons on a
remote to use a Tivo.

Not that I think one of the other Linux or WinXP suites would be any better, it wouldn't.

--- Flame Suit off---

Marvin