[mythtv-users] mythtv and hauppage pvr 250 killing my network ?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:24:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:08:11 -0600, Mark <line72> Dillavou
<mlists at charter.net> wrote:
> After a couple weeks of messing with this, I think I've narrowed it down
> to either my hauppauge pvr250 card or mythtv (or both).  A couple weeks
> ago, I installed a hauppague pvr250 and setup mythtv on my gentoo box,
> and ever since then my internet will occasionally stop working.  At
> first I thought it was my isp, so I called them up and complained
> everyday for a week until they sent a technician out who said nothing is
> wrong.  I then realized that this started happening about the same time
> i installed the pvr card.
>
> What basically happens is my computer will randomly lose its connection
> to the cable modem.  The cable modem is online and still working fine,
> but my computer and can no longer ping it.  After resetting the modem,
> my computer can see the modem and the internet works fine for a couple
> hours until this happens again.
>
> To make sure this wasn't a problem with my isp or modem, I took out the
> pvr card for a week, and my computer never lost its connection once,
> whereas when I have the card installed, it happens every couple hours.
>
> Here's are my specs:
>
> Gentoo Linux
> Athlon 1.2
> 1 gig ram
> hauppauge pvr 250
> nvidia tnt 2
> linksys network card (Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX [Linksys
> EtherFast 10/100] (rev 25))
> netgear network card (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10))
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Mark <line72> Dillavou <mlists at charter.net>

Wow, that's weird.

How do you have your cable splitters set up? I doubt that's where the
problem lies, but you never know.

Also, do you have any other computers on your network? If so, can they
connect to the network? Or is your computer directly connected to the
cable modem?

If it's directly connected, I'd recommend putting the tv card back in
your computer, then try one of two things:

1) Try hooking a different computer up to the cable modem. Keep your
myth box's tv card hooked up to the cable, but don't hook your myth
box's ethernet port to the cable modem. See if the problem crops up
with this setup. If it does, you have some funky weird black magic
going on in your coax cables.

2) Try using a router. Plug your cable modem into the router, then
plug your computer to the router. If the problem still crops up, try
disconnecting your computer from the network - then connect a
different computer to the network while leaving your myth box's tv
card hooked up to the cable.

Hope that helps,
Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003