[mythtv-users] Mythbackend stops recording - PVR350 - FC1 - ivtv 0.1.9

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sat Aug 28 17:57:31 EDT 2004

I've found a bunch of references to this issue, and the only real answer I
found seemed to point to the ivtv drivers...Here is what's happening :
* Running FC1 with Mythtv 0.15.1 and ivtv 0.1.9 all downloaded using
apt-get. (I have a PVR350)
* When a recording is in progress, and I either go in and watch a
previously recorded program OR just visit the "Watch Recording" page, the
current recording stops.
* Even though the recording has stopped (no msgs in the mythbackend.log)
the mythfrontend shows the recording still in progress.
* When I get in this state, I can watch recorded programs all I want, but
attempting to delete a program results in a "communication with mythbackend
lost" message displayed.  Additionally, no new programs are recorded..The
mythbackend process continues to run however.
* Resolution of this involves rebooting.  However, if it reboots and comes
back up in the middle of a recording session, we immediately get back to
the state described above.

This is quite a bit frustrating, however I have learned the fine art of
"not watching anything when I know it's recording or about to record"...But
I'm getting a bit tired of that and am looking for a solution.  I
immediately thought about upgrading to the newest ivtv drivers, but before
I go down that rather complicated route I want to make sure that's the
right direction I should be taking...I'm thinking that people are running
mythtv 0.15.1 with FC1 and 0.1.9 of ivtv without any issues (this seems
like a fairly common combination for the PVR350)..so if there might be
another (non-ivtv) cause of my problem, I'd appreciate any suggestions on
that too...

much thanks.

Ed