[mythtv-users] Thanks and more questions *rolleyes*

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Aug 28 09:45:09 EDT 2004

Verteiler wrote:

> Hi (again),
>
> Sorry for beeing such a bain-in-the-*** newbie regarding this, but I
> just cannot get this thing working. I have installed the
> ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck105k driver with everything working fine. Then I
> adapted the /etc/modprobe.conf (which apparently replaces the
> /etc/modules.conf in the 2.6 kernel) according to Jarod's and Chris's
> Howto (http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/HOWTO.ivtv-0.1.10) but that
> is where my problems come in. This is what my /etc/modprobe.conf looks
> like (the ivtv section anyway):
>
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

The above two lines are all that is needed in your /etc/modprobe.conf

> options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=5 ivtv_std=2
> options msp3400 once=0 simpler=1 simple=0

The ivtv driver can now automatically set a lot of reasonable defaults.
Try removing these two lines and see if it still works.  Of course you
may want to leav the options ivtv ivtv_debug=1.  You can modinfo ivtv
for the autodetect and default settings.

> add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner saa7127

Remove this line.  Modprobe doesn't support the add option anymore.

> Then I want to check the tuner type using "/sbin/modprobe tveeprom"
> but I get this error:
> WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 8: ignoring bad line starting with
> 'add' (which is the last of the above lines).
> A "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep tuner" does not result in anything.

Add below is no longer supported

> I had this problem using the 2.4 kernel as well, so that I continued
> with Jarod's howto. Next I loaded the ivtv driver using "/sbin/depmod
> -a" which seemed to work When doing "/sbin/modprobe v4l1-compat" I get
> the same warning regarding the "add" line and doing a "modprobe ivtv"
> results in this fatal error:
> FATAL: Error inserting ivtv (/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/extra/ivtv.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) .... there
> is no entry in /var/log/dmesg
> I do get an output on my second console though:
> ivtv: Unknown symbol sys_close
> ivtv: Unknown symbol sys_lseek
> ivtv: Unknown symbol sys_read
> ivtv: Unknown symbol sys_open
>
> Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I do quite a lot
> with linux but have never delved too deep into drivers so this is
> quite new to me.
> So I hope to read from you linux/ivtv-gurus soon!

This happens with the Redhat (well Fedora) kernel.  A plain kernel from
kernel.org doesn't have this issue.  Please take a look at this message
from the ivtv list:

http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Aug-2004/msg00352.html

Basically, sys_open et al are no longer to be used in kernel modules so
Fedora disabled them to get people to update their drivers (much like
they did with 4K stacks).  Not that I have a problem with this, it just
forces people that are on the bleeding edge to make sure they don't keep
old cruft around and gives other distributions time before introducing
things that may break in the mainstream.

HTH,
David