[mythtv-users] live tv hangs

Alan Anderson andersonas at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 27 13:54:27 EDT 2004

Hi,

A few weeks ago I put together a mythtv box.

fedoracore1 mythtv 0.15.1 bt878 tuner
Athalon 1Ghz  512M memory

It worked watching live tv would pause slightly while a write went to disk.

recording worked great.

Since the backend was running 70%-80% of the cpu the box was simply too
overloaded for watching live tv.

So I purchased a pvr-250MCE  to offload the encoding.

It went in with a little bit of pain but at this point I can get up to
channel 61 the rest of the channels are filled with static.

But the main issue is watching live tv no longer pauses for a fraction of a
second while the disk writes occors.  It does hangup.  If I catch is soon
enough with esc I can resume watching tv ok.  If I wait a minute or so I
have to kill the X (ctl-alt-backspace).

I can play video from the tuner via mplayer in full screen for long periods
with no problem.

mplayer /dev/video0

Recording from the pvr-250MCE does not appear to be a problem.  Playback is
also ok.

I swapped the drives into another MB athalon 2700+ and it has the same
issue.    New mb new soundcard new video card.  But both are MB VIA
chipsets.  (I was impressed fedoera core took the new MB in stride and came
right up.)

The only unuaual peice of equipment is a Linksys wireless 54G pci nic, but
it was in the original BT878 setup.

Any ideas on how to narrow the problem down further?

--
Alan Anderson
andersonas at adelphia.net
Linux is user friendly.
Its just real picky about who its friends are.