[mythtv-users] M-Audio, VIA Chipset, DVD burning, iTunes Rendezvous

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 26 16:57:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:38:32PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 16:14, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:05:30PM -0400, Ben Fineman wrote:
> > > 2) I have read a couple of vague posts about issues with "VIA
> > > chipsets on old AMD boards"...can someone elaborate on this?
> > > Specifically, I am looking to build my system from an old VIA KT133
> > > board. Am I asking for trouble?
> >
> > My estimation is that the major issue is DMA, and if you're using 1
> > or 2 Hauppauge cards, you're probably in less danger than if you're
> > using Bt878/cx88 cards, or more than 2 of anything.
>
> Actually, IIRC it's the ivtv cards that have the most problems with the
> VIA DMA bug.  But I could definitely be wrong :-)

Well, the ivtv's are known to trigger it, yes, but I wasn't sure
whether it was specific to them; everyone's phrasing is "if you try to
run too much DMA bandwidth" -- I originally heard it on the V4L list
before I decided on Hauppauge.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi