[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 20 13:12:26 EDT 2004

On 08/20/2004 11:49 AM, Daniel Savard wrote:

>Le ven 20/08/2004 à 09:08, Martin Ravell a écrit :
>

>>There doesn't seem to be any file called modules.txt in the package I have.
>>>From various forums and mail logs I gather that the tuner type for PAL is 5.

And tuner types 0, 1, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26,
28, 29, 30, 32, 37, 41, and possibly a couple others...

To find out which one you have, do a
modprobe tveeprom
and check your dmesg output.  You'll see something like:

tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 48132, rev = J323, serial# = 7065176
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 (idx = 23, type = 2)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3440 (type = 11)

Notice the second line, which gives the tuner type.  For mine, above, it
shows type=2.

>>I've tried this but the above errors are what I get.
>>

>Of course, the tuner type has nothing to do with your problem, just a
>side note to avoid you another future problem.
>

>>I added the ivtv_debug=3 as suggested and will now copy conf and log files
>>to the usual URL in case you have a moment to take a look.

OK, I looked at the messages log at the URL you gave, and there's no
indication that the ivtv modules are ever being loaded.  Make sure they are.

Also, I noticed no one has asked you a very important question:  do you
actually have a device node for /dev/fb0?

ls -al /dev/fb0
crw--w----  1 root tty 29, 0 Mar 30 20:12 /dev/fb0

If not, you'll need to make one.  Assuming you're not using devfs, you
would do something like:

cd /dev
for minor in `seq 0 5`; do
  dev_num=${minor}
  mknod -m 620 fb${dev_num} c 29 ${minor}
  chgrp tty fb${dev_num}
done

as root.

>Reboot and look in the log for a section clearly marked with a starter
>header like this:
>
>Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV
>====================
>Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: version 0.1.10 (0.1.10pre2-ck100b) loading
>
>and terminated with the following banner:
>
>Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: ====================  END INIT IVTV
>====================

Note that this is only shown in recent versions of Chris Kennedy's
patches to 0.1.10pre2.

>BTW, which version of the driver do you use? I am not sure if 0.1.9 is
>able to do X on TV-out. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

ivtv 0.1.9 will do TV out on the PVR-350.  However, you should really
use ivtvdev and might be better off with ivtv-0.1.9a (both from
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ ).

>>Would you mind sharing your modules.conf and XF86Config with me (presumably
>>you have the X on framebuffer working).

OK.  I know the following is on a system that isn't showing problems
(i.e. not the OP's), but as others read the archives looking for
answers, I want to ensure that some stuff is clarified...

>I am running Gentoo, so, here is my /etc/modules.d/ivtv file:
>
>alias char-major-61   lirc_i2c
>alias char-major-81   videodev
>alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

With 0.1.10pre2-ckXX (somewhere around 80 and later), this is the *only
thing* that should appear in modules.conf (and, since you're using
ck100b, you definitely don't need anything more).  Any other settings
you use are likely to cause problems/break things.

>options ivtv ivtv_debug=0 mpg_buffers=90

Setting the buffer count--especially if using settings carried over from
previous versions of ivtv--is very likely to cause problems since the
buffer sizes have changed almost as many times as Chris has released
patches.  Therefore, mpg_buffers=90 will give extremely different
amounts of memory usage with different drivers.  Besides, this setting
should only be used if the driver doesn't work with the defaults.

Note that the ivtv_debug is OK--it's really the only option you might
want to add.  Also, some French SECAM users must give the option

options ivtv tda9887=0

>#type=2 for NTSC only
>options tuner type=2
>options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
>options msp3400 once=1 simple=1 debug=2

All of these settings are autodetected by ck80-something and above.  Do
not set.

>add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
>add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c ivtv-fb\

Definitely do not specify this.  Make sure you load ivtv with:

modprobe ivtv

And ivtv-fb with

modprobe ivtv-fb

(do *not* use insmod), and the driver takes care of loading all
dependent modules in the proper order.

>>I seriously do not remember being this frustrated with something for a long
>>time. Granted I'm not a Linux guru but damn this is annoying!
>>

>I know what you mean...

That's why the recent ck patches autodetect everything.  The biggest
problem configuring ivtv was the module options--mainly because so many
websites give so many contradictory stories about which settings should
be used, there are so many different settings for the different areas of
the world, and there are so many different configurations of PVR-x50
cards (each needing different settings).

>>I hereby promise to write an addendum for Jarod or some sort of mini how-to
>>for PAL / Framebuffer / PVR x50 rigs once we get this up and running.

That sounds great.  Make sure you check out the ivtv Wiki.  There's a TV
Out HOWTO ( http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=TvOutHowto ) and
a PAL TV Out HOWTO ( http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=TvOutPal
).  If you start with these--make them better and use them to get others
to review--you'll be contributing to the main documentation on IvyTV and
can then take the information and put it into a Myth-specific HOWTO.

Mike