[mythtv-users] Considering a Pundit. Pls advise.

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Aug 18 18:40:13 EDT 2004

> Exactly what does bare bones mean? Minus windoze, fine. Hardware
> assembly, not so fine.

Barebones means you get a case, a powersupply and a motherboard (and any
additional goodies like sound, pcmcia, etc. that the motherboard has
built in).

Thus, with the pundit, you'll need to supply your own processor, hard
drive, RAM and cd/dvd drive.

> Is the fan quiet enough to live with in the living room? If not, what
> are my options?

Yes.  At idle, makes less noise than the fridge in the other room.

> What do I need to do to make it boot headless?

Huh?  I thought that all non-mac machines were capable of booting
headless.  You just turn it on.  But if you're using it as a myth box,
it won't be headless.  The TV out is treated exactly as if it was a monitor.

> Are there enough PCI slots for my Haupage 350 plus wireless card? How
> many slots exactly?

Two PCI slots.  the 350 will require some bending of the case to make it
fit (there's a lip you have to work around -- there are tutorials
floating around that show you), but both SHOULD fit if the wireless card
is small enough.

And make sure you're aware of the two different versions of the pundit
-- only one of them has good video-out support.

-Chris