[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcoding... first blood (Transcoding resulted in larger file)

Chris Vargas ceenvee at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 16:07:22 EDT 2004

--- Jay Ashworth wrote:

>> If you want to make a DVD from your recordings,
>> and you're using a PVR-250 or -350, your
>> recordings are already in MPEG2 format, so there's
>> no real need to transcode.
>
> I believe that's only true if your recording
> settings are 720x480, no?

That's the setting that's probably most widely
accepted by DVD authoring programs. Other allowable
resolutions are 704x480, 352x480, and 352x240,
according to the DVD FAQ. I've definitely used 352x480
and 352x240 for DVD authoring.

You'd be better off creating new recording profiles,
or modifying the ones that are there, and using those
resolutions, rather than transcoding. Transcoding is
time-consuming, and you're recompressing an
already-compressed file. Of course, for things that
are already recorded, transcoding may be the only
option.

>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-
>>21.html#ss21.13
>
> That entry is a little rough on how to *change*
> which one's the default; important to us PVR
> people. Any expansion?

The Transcoding options are in the
Setup->TV->Recording Profiles->Transcoding menu (I
think I have that right... not right in front of it so
can't say for sure).

I changed my profile for MPEG2 so that it transcodes
to MPEG4 instead of RTJPEG.

Re: the MPEG2 cut list scripts:

> But you'd have to run this externally to Myth,
right?

Right. Ideally, there would be an option for MPEG2
files that would just chop the commercials out rather
than transcode. Until then I guess we have to use
external scripts.