[mythtv-users] PIP question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 18 15:34:02 EDT 2004

On 08/18/2004 03:11 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:11:38PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>On 08/18/2004 11:15 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>

>>>Well, we've also just added a second one to our box, and -- once I got
>>>the insmod issues worked out (is there a database of what card and
>>>tuner parameters match which 5-digit card model numbers, somewhere ) --
>>>it Just Worked.
>>>
>>>Actually, it Just Worked even *before* I got tuner=2,39 figured out,
>>>but all I got was snow.  :-)
>>>

>>The best database of card/tuner parameters is ivtv-0.1.10pre2 patched
>>with one of Chris Kennedy's recent patches, thanks to all the work Hans
>>Verkuil did on autodetection.  As an aside, the hard part is convincing
>>people to take *all* the module options they think are necessary for
>>ivtv (which are often incorrect, anyway) out of their
>>mod{ules,probe}.conf.  :)
>>

>I'm on 100z, and it missed type 39; I had had no options at all (and
>was just insmoding everything in an init script, since it needs to load
>at boot time anyway)... I may upgrade to newer drivers, but it seems to
>have morphed from beta into production on me, so I have to make sure I
>can roll back.

Yeah, I wasn't saying you had your options wrong--I've seen you on the
ivtv ML's enough to know you're keeping up with development.  More than
anything, I was just commenting for anyone else reading the thread, and
I wanted to emphasize that most of the problems people have when
upgrading to the new release are due to incorrect options they specify
that would have been properly autodetected if left out.  Plus, I never
miss an opportunity to say what great work Hans and Chris are doing.  :)

Also, I recommend using modprobe to load the modules instead of insmod.
(Using insmod, dependent modules are not loaded automatically.)
Therefore, to load the new driver, just do a:

modprobe ivtv

(and if you want ivtv-fb for a PVR-350), you can do

modprobe ivtv-fb

This way, all the necessary modules are loaded and in the correct
order.  It's amazing how much easier it is than the 0.1.9 approach.

>>Note, that ivtv-0.1.10pre2-ckXXX isn't necessarily the best driver to
>>use with Myth.  (It works great for me, but YMMV.)
>>

>So far, I've been getting fantastic mileage.  :-)

That makes two of us, but as it's not the "stable" driver release, it's
not (yet) for everyone.

Mike