[mythtv-users] Stutter issues with HDTV

Tue Aug 17 17:26:07 EDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, john roberts wrote:

> I've got ARCH set as pentium4 - so I don't believe that's the issue.  And yes you are correct - a world of difference when not set to pentium4.
>
> Also - I do a nice --adjust=-5 or something when I start the frontend - so I believe that's ok.
>
> I'm thinking 2.6G is just not fast enough.  I believe the note on having a 2.8 or greater is correct - it seems I'm on the threshold of it working.
>
> Thanks for the info,
>
> -John

I have run it on a 2.6GHz with acceptable results.  Two things were
critical:  enabling Hyper-Threading, and getting the AGP setting right.
Depending on your motherboard, using nVidia's AGP is either a win or a HUGE
loose.  Going to a nVidia FX-5700LE also helped.

Also note, setting "-march=pentium4" in settings.pro does *NOT* effect the
options used to compile the A/V decoding libraries.  Those options end up in
config.mak after you do the ./configure.  I have had good look using
something like "-O4 -march=pentium4" in the config.mak file.

Doug also discovered that "nice"ing X to a higher priority helps.  X should
actually be at a higher priority than mythfrontend, which should be at a
higher priority than other general apps.

Is your machine a Backend/Frontend combo, or just a frontend?  Splitting the
backend and frontend onto different machines also helped for me.  The
backend can actually be a pretty lowely machine -- it just needs a good disk
system.

John