[mythtv-users] avidemux2 nuv->avi sync problems

Sager, Jim Jim.Sager at turner.com
Mon Aug 16 15:59:45 EDT 2004

I've noticed that I have had troubles with syncing audio and video using, not only
avidemux, but also utilities in Windows. Cory had indicated earlier that he noticed
glitches in the audio stream that would screw up the remuxing process. He said that
he has re-encoded the audio before muxing and that it has been successful. Before
leaving for work I tested this out in avidemux, re-encoding the audio using "ffmpeg
mpeg audio" codec and re-muxing the raw video (mpeg2) with it. I didn't have much
time to look at it in great detail, but it appeared that the sync problem went away.

I am curious as to what video capture cards are being used that are producing this
problem. I am using 1 pvr-350 and 2 pvr-250mce's with ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck99e. I don't
remember having the sync issue with the 0.9 version of the driver (but I could be
wrong, wasn't doing a whole lot of archiving at the time). I am wondering if somewhere
along the line, through the driver updates, glitches were introduced into the driver's
encoding process - glitches that may not be apparent during normal playback of the
stream, but that become apparent through the use of video editing tools which may be
more sensitive to them.

If so, we may want to kick this back to the ivtv devolopment team if this seems like
it might be the source of the problem. Has anyone been using the bttv cards and having
the same syncing issues? Or any other cards that do not use the ivtv driver? With the
large amount of development going on with the ivtv driver, I wouldn't be surprised if
some subtle glitches have been inadvertantly introduced into the driver.

Unfortunately I will be out of town the next few days, otherwise I would try testing
some recordings using the old driver (0.9) versus the newer developer versions
(0.1.10-pre2) to see if glitches have, in fact, been introduced through development.

Just a thought.

Jim