[mythtv-users] knoppmyth on Compaq Laptop using USB-tuner and USB-HDD?

Jimmy Larsson jimmy at jimbo.se
Fri Aug 13 12:16:18 EDT 2004

    Hi

Is it possible to install knoppmyth on an laptops external USB-harddrive
without touching the internal HDD? Is there any good USB-tuner that is
supported by knoppmyth easily?

I have a Compaq Evo N610C (2.0GHz, 523 Mb RAM) which I use for work. The
harddrive is full of important data and I dont wanna mess with it.

But, wouldnt it be possible for me to attach an USB-tuner (product
selection advice, anyone) and an 250Gb external USB-harddrive (which I
already have) and by booting on the knoppmyth CD fire up an working
knoppmyth?

My goal is to use the laptop as a temporary VCR at home when I am on
vacation.

Would it be hard for me to get the knoppix to use the USB HDD? Or is
there simply no good TV-hardware for USB supported by mythtv?

And, if I install knoppmyth on the USB-disk, Can i access the files
(primarily the recordings) on that disk from my XP? Or do I have to use
another filesystem on my store to be able to access the recordings not
only from knoppmyth but also when booting W*n XP?

Thanks for your advices, Gurus! :-)

Regards Jimmy
jimmy at jimbo.se