[mythtv-users] Objective IVTV quality measurement instructions

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Aug 13 09:50:43 EDT 2004

 	I posted this awhile back, but I never got too many responses.  My
PVR-250 OEM has what I consider to be only adequate capture resolution.  The TV
it's connected to can do a better job of displaying cable TV signal and
produces cleaner results.  I've reduced the variables enough to know it's
not my tvout on the mythtv box.  Playing test patterns in a DVD player
recording it with mythtv can help find this out.  I mastered a burnable DVD
image awhile back:

http://www.ee.vt.edu/~mythtv/TEST.tar.bz2

 	The EIA1956 test pattern is on there, at 720x480.  Since it's limited
to 720 pixels, the test pattern itself is only 720*3/4=540 "lines of
resolution" on a 4:3 TV.  My pvr250 can only resolve about 400-450 lines, even
when capturing via the svid direct from the DVD at 720x480.  The TV OTOH can
resolve the full 540 lines when connected directly to the DVD player.

 	Anyone who feels like testing this and reporting back would be
appreciated.  I discovered just how crappy my low-end BTTV card was (350-400
max)... took it out of the box after that.

-Cory