OT: Composite/Component [was Re: [mythtv-users] Re: Image quality, what effects it?]

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Aug 10 19:31:54 EDT 2004

>> My TV has only one set of (red, white, yellow) inputs
>> for (left, right, video). What's that one called?
>>
> Composite.  The composite video signal is on the cable that plugs into
> the yellow connector.  Your right and left audio go through the red and
> white connectors.

And to make matters more confusing, composite video is often refered to
as "component A/V" (meaning the audio and video components have been
split apart, unlike the RF connector, where they all live in the same
set of wires).  But in the above cases, we're referring specifically to
the video aspect, since with composite and component video (and
s-video), the audio is always separate.

-Chris