[mythtv-users] TV out picture is not rectangular

huffman at graze.net huffman at graze.net
Tue Aug 10 12:05:12 EDT 2004

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:

> I've got an ASUS 9180 Geforce4 MX440 card which I'm using for TV out on
> my MythTV pc. The quality is quite good however the sides of the picture
> are not straight. The top and the left are not too bad, but the right
> hand side is quite shocking.

Similar problem w/ the Mitsubishi 42" projection on the lower right side.

> When I use overscan to make the picture fill the screen, I lose quite a
> lot off the edges in the wider parts. Even as much as losing the right
> hand border in the watch recordings list, for example.

Once again, similar problem since I have a 2" space at the bottom of the 42"
projection TV that has no picture.  Overscan loses too much of the top and
sides.

> I was hoping that xvidtune might help, but when I tried it, none of the
> adjustments seemed to have any effect. I saw the picture flicker (I
> turned on auto mode), but not actually move. Does it have any effect
> with TV out usually?
>
> Finally, is there anything that can be done to improve the shape?
> Or is it likely that the TV encoder is just rubbish and I should go
> buy another card?

I am about to go buy the pc-tv scan converter that has been suggested on this
list.  Although there seem to be a HUGE amount of people that are happy with
their video cards, I am not.  I also have the GeForce4 440MX and I have yet to
be pleased.  I don't know whether it's my configuration, the large projection TV
or whether I just have super-human eyes.  ;-)  But I've about given up on the
TV-out.

Hey - if this works, I may just pull the NVidia card out completely and use the
on-board Intel.  I'll post the results.

In addition to hopefully fixing my motion problems, this scan converter box has
X/Y positioning as well as over/underscan adjustments.  So it should help to
solve your problems as well.

Brian