[mythtv-users] MythDVD keybindings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 9 19:02:01 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 14:10 09/08/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> I never did manage to get mythtv to just work with
>> lirc, so I'm running irxevent. My question is twofold:
>>
>> 1. What do I need to do to make mythtv work with lirc
>> without irxevent? (yes, I did compile it with lirc
>> support but it does nothing)
>
> You need a properly configured "keymap" for your remote control in
> ~/.mythtv/lircrc to control MythTV

And make sure the button names you use in the lircrc file are *exactly*
the same as those specified in the /etc/lircd.conf file.  Probably the
most common problem setting this up is having different names because of
downloading a lircd.conf from one location and a lircrc from another
location.

>> 2. If that's not possible,

It's definitely possible. :)

>> how can I use lirc to
>> control 2 different applications with different
>> keybindings?
>
> Almost all apps that support lirc natively (mplayer and Xine for
> example) read their config information from ~/.lircrc. MythTV is a
> special case, as it uses it's own custom lircrc as shown above.
>
> I've not tried it myself (my ~/.lircrc is for xine only, as it's all
> that's used on this system), but I imagine you can put multiple
> entries in it for different programs like so:
>
> begin
>         prog = xine
>         button = CH+
>         repeat = 3
>         config = EventUp
> end
>
> begin
>         prog = someotherapp
>         button = CH+
>         repeat = 3
>         config = DoSomething
> end

Exactly.  I've got mine set up with sections configuring the buttons for
MythTV (prog = mythtv), xine (prog = xine), MPlayer (prog = mplayer),
and XMMS (prog = xmms).  So I could combine my MythTV ones with all the
others, I have a symlink from ~/.mythtv/lircrc to ~/.lircrc .

HTH.

Mike