[mythtv-users] GUI X and Y offsets

Jim Sager jim.sager at turner.com
Fri Aug 6 11:02:32 EDT 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 05:03 am, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Aug 2004 23:04, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > Jim Sager wrote:
> > > I haven't heard any talk in a while regarding the ability to use the
> > > GUI X and Y Offsets without running myth in a window. I believe that
> > > the last I heard it was a problem related to QT - correct me if I am
> > > wrong.
> >
> > Okay, your wrong =). It is most likely the placement policy
> > of your window manager. The coordinates are suggestion by
> > the application of where it wants to be placed but the window
> > manager can do whatever it believes it is supposed to. In fact,
> > there is even a difference of conventions whether the coordinates
> > are for the corner of the decoration or the app inside the window.
> >
> > I run mythfrontend in a window at x=4 y=560 to be placed in the
> > lower right hand corner of my KDE desktop. If I turn off "Run the
> > frontend in a window" then restart the frontend, it's again in
> > the lower right but with gaps where the frame would have been.
>
> I'm using KDE and have so far failed to get the X & Y offsets working. The
> window appears in the top left of the screen no matter what the offset is.
> The only thing that worked for me was the suggestion of using an older
> version of Qt, and that worked, but it broke so many other programs
> compiled against the newer version that I gave up.

I looked at the placement policy for KDE and found nothing that would help me
in this area. However, I did manage to find a way to get mythfrontend to run
in a borderless window using the GUI settings. In the appearance settings, I
set the frontend to run in a window and modify the GUI settings (width,
height, x and y offsets) to center it on my TV. When the frontend was running
in a window, I right clicked on the title bar and selected the "No Border"
option and the border disappeared (as it should) and the window remained in
its current position on the screen as defined in the appearance settings of
mythfrontend. I then hit Alt-F3/Advanced/Store Window Settings. Now whenever
I start the frontend, it is in the postition as defined by the GUI settings
and runs without the window borders. I can also change the GUI settings and
the next time I start the frontend it appears in its new position as defined
by the GUI settings. It's not the most glamorous solution, but it works - no
borders and centered on the TV.

--
jim