[mythtv-users] HDTV & NTSC same backend, 1 source

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Aug 6 00:16:15 EDT 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 10:52 pm, Brian Foddy wrote:
> On Thursday 05 August 2004 10:26 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 August 2004 11:09 pm, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > > Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> > > I have a single backend with 4 cards,
> > > cardid's 1-3 are PVR250s,
> > > cardid 4 is a pcHDTV.
> > > I've defined 1 broadcast source grabbing from datadirect.
> > > The source includes both ntsc and atsc channels.
> > > I've gone through the database and renumbered the hd channels
> > > to 100+ the base number, and changed the corresponding
> > > frequency to the proper hd value, and the tvformat of these
> > > records is all ATSC; the normal channels are default, being
> > > NTSC.
> > >
> > > Whenever I select a program to record from the hd channels,
> > > it doesn't use cardid 4, but one of the lower ones.
> > >
> > > The only way I've historically been able to get the HD card
> > > to be used, is if I define a second source and duplicate
> > > all the channels all over.  But this is very cluttering on the
> > > program guide.  I've been all over the docs and forum lists,
> > > but can't find what I'm missing...
> >
> > It's just doing what you told it to do.  You've told it that the hdtv
> > channels are available on all inputs.  If different channels are
> > available on different inputs, each needs their own lineup.  If the
> > callsigns are the same on the various lineups, they automatically get
> > grouped together in the program guide, and the scheduler can auto-select
> > which card to use based on your other preferences.
>
> I agree, so I can't see how this can work without some indication how a
> channel can be mapped to an input card, and that is what I'm missing.  I
> would have thought the "format" would be the mapping, but its not.  I also
> thought from the forums maybe if the channum and freq are different,
> that is some internal flag.
>
> When you say "lineup", do you mean "source" as defined by the
> videosource table?  If so, then you are saying I need to use a second
> source, which I have gotten to work, but then I get 4 copies of every
> channel.  Thereby implying I need to create a second datadirect
> account with different channel lineups.  I tried to manually delete a
> channel from the database (like in the good old days of xmltv), but
> it will be recreated the next mythfilldatabase run.  This gets to the
> core of my frustration...

Footnote.  I thought, maybe I'm supposed to create a second "lineup"
on datadirect, so I tried under the same login account.  It won't let me
create 2 lineups, both from the same signal source, but with different
channels.  Since both the
pvr250's and the pchdtv use broadcast channels, I'm still stuck.

Brian