[mythtv-users] Install problem

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 5 21:04:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:43:18PM +0200, Martin Berg wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >I'm setting up 0.15.1, SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.7) with one of Chris
> >
> 2.6.7 ? - SuSE 9.1 comes with 2.6.4 that gets updated with Online update to
> 2.6.5-7.95 (that was 5 days ago - now it is ....104).
> Does this mean that you have downloaded a newer "non-SuSE" kernel and
> compiled on your own ?

No, it means either that I can't read, or that I can't type.  :-)

Mine, too, is the 7.95-default.

> The reason I'm asking is that I now am on my third night to make ivtv just
> compile.

I'm not having an iota of trouble *compiling* IVTV, and mostly, it's
even working.  The only remaining problem I'm having at the moment is

VIDOCGMBUF:: Invalid argument

Which is what I get when recording from live, and it gets to the end;
the front end seems to freeze and when I restart it, it's on a blank
channel.  I know I have superfluous cards in the database, and I don't
know mysql quite well enough to prune the table (or Myth, for that
matter), and the setup program doesn't *seem* to have a way to kill
them -- it's difficult to tell since I need the buffer overscanned for
the video, and underscanned for the GUI.

(Yes, I know; I've seen the manual GUI adjustments: they don't help me
much.  I don't want to see the desktop *around* the GUI, I *just* want
to squeeze the viewport; I still want the *background* to go all the
way to the edges.)

And once the front and back ends get unsynced, starting a new front end
isn't enough -- the recording list is empty til I bounce the backend.

Cheers,
-- jra
--

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't