[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv / hdtv

Wed Aug 4 18:41:58 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Adam and Lori Walker wrote:

> how in the world did you get HDTV working on mythtv?  searching for howto's and other docs.
>

> tia
> Adam

I am CC the myth users list, since this may help someone else.

Brandon Beattie was working on some documentation, but I don't know what the
current state of it is.  Try searching for "HDTV doc" here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/

With or without a PVR-250 in the same system?

David George wrote up a document on how he got it to work:

http://thegeorges.us/mythtv

I currently JUST have a HD-2000 card (http://www.pchdtv.com), but I may try
to add a PVR-250 in the near future.

I have notes at home, but off the top of my head:

I did a basic install of Fedora Core 2.
Downloaded kernel 2.6.7 from http://www.kernel.org.
Patched the kernel with the 2.6.6 driver from
	http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads_right_down.html
Configured and built the kernel.
Created the dev entry:

	mknod -m 600 /dev/video32 c 81 32
	ln -s /dev/video32 /dev/dtv0
	ln -s /dev/dtv0 /dev/dtv

Rebooted and tested that it worked using the tools-2.6.a package.

Then I grabbed the CVS of Myth:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html

Edited myth's settings.pro file as appropriate and ran qmake.
Setup myth's avformat:
 ./configure --extra-cflags="-march=pentium4 -O4"

Built Myth and installed it:
make
make install

Went to http://labs.zap2it.com and setup an account to feed me program
listings.  Configured the account to only send me the HD channel info.

Ran Myth's setup program to configure the HD-2000 card:

./setup/setup  (from the place you built the Myth CVS).

Told it I had a pcHDTV tunner card.  That it was an "over-the-air" card and
NOT cable.  That it used ATSC and not NTSC.

Gave it my account information for labs.zap2it.com, so it could download a
channel list.

Configured it to use the primary (bottom) input of the card.

Quit out, and ran mythfilldatabase to load the channel info.

Re ran ./setupt/setup

Went into the channel config section and fixed-up the channel info.

For example, my "digital" channels are:

FOX - NTSC channel 2  - ATSC channel 27
NBC - NTSC channel 4  - ATSC channel 26
PBS - NTSC channel 5  - ATSC channel 35
ABC - NTSC channel 7  - ATSC channel 21
CBS - NTSC channel 13 - ATSC channel 16
WB  - NTSC channel 19 - ATSC channel 29
UPN - NTSC channel 50 - ATSC channel 45

Myth will use the NTSC channel designator by default.  That is fine, but you
must adjust the actual "frequency" designator (on the second page) to have
the ATSC channel info.

ATSC channels can have multiple "programs".  By default, Myth will use the
first "program" it sees on the ATSC channel.  That is not always what you
want.  To determine what "programs" are available to you, grab Peter's
dtvstream program:

http://www.buzzlabs.com/~peter/

For example, when I run "dtvstream -v -q" on my UPN station (channel 45), it
returns:

<snip>

 Stream contains 6 valid program(s).
    Program 18: 99-9 HGTV:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 15: 99-6 FOOD:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 12: 99-3 ESPN2:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 11: 99-2 ESPN:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 10: 99-1 USDTV:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
        Unknown (0x0b)
        Unknown (0x0b)
    Program 2: 50-1 KASY-DT:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
        Audio (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Unknown (0x0b)

The "first" program is "Program 18: 99-9 HGTV", which is NOT what I want.  I
want "Program 2: 50-1 KASY-DT".  So, under the "frequency id" for my UPN
station (NTSC channel 50), I put 45-2 (ATSC channel 45, program 2).

After all that, Myth works.

Hope something all that gibberish help you.

John