[mythtv-users] [mythtv] mythtranscode -> avi

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Aug 5 14:56:54 EDT 2004

(semi-repost)

There has been a lot of talk lately about getting mythtranscode to
export other formats (any supported by libaviformat, or whatever it's
called), but the devs decided that there really wasn't much of a need
for effort to be put into this because other tools do it well enough on
their own.

However, since mplayer (and transcode, and ffmpeg) still continue to NOT
support myth's nuv files, there is currently no way to convert an nuv
file to an avi file without transcoding/reencoding.  This is the single
most oft-asked-about feature for nuvexport, and frankly it would allow
for more standardized transoding options (ie. could use "transode" for
all conversions, since it seems to have slightly faster and better
quality output than nuvexport's "normal" options).

In the rewrite of nuvexport, I'd like to be able get away from the
somewhat complex set of exporters (particularly the "transode" and
non-transcode versions of the same output format).  This would also open
the door for using the files more easily with nuv->dvd programs.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but having mythtranscode do the avi
conversion instead of mencoder (if it is ever made to work) would also
allow myth's meta data to stay in the file (title/subtitle/description
at the very least)

Anyway, this email is basically me asking/begging/pleading for someone
who knows the mythtranscode code to implement the avi container output
(I guess that would also mean having the ability to specify an outfile),
since I've gathered that it should be relatively easy to do so.  I'm
also hoping to get an official "ok" about this idea, since it'd be nice
to know that any patches would get accepted.

-Chris