[mythtv-users] Problem with "Jump Ahead" feature - KnoppMyth R4V4

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Wed Aug 4 20:35:39 EDT 2004

Blammo[doh] wrote:
> Is there any reason my mysql actually needs to be installed or running on a
> frontend only?
>
> I would assume the frontend actually works off the DB on the backend right?
> Here's what the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt looks like on the front end:
>
> root at frontend1:/etc/mythtv # more mysql.txt
> DBHostName=127.0.0.1
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBName=mythconverg
>
> # Set the following if you want to use something other than the
> # machine's real hostname for identifying settings in the database.
> # This is useful if your hostname changes often, as otherwise
> # you'll need to reconfigure mythtv (or futz with the DB) every time.
> # TWO HOSTS MUST NOT USE THE SAME VALUE
> #
> #LocalHostName=my-unique-identifier-goes-here
> DBPassword=qzdUIRDz

That's it!

You do not need MySql running on the frontend, only the backend. You
will need to adjust the DBhostName in your mysql.txt file on your
frontend to point to the IP address of the backend.

I have a Mandrake system and use the Penguin Liberation Front RPM's that
put the mysql.txt file in a different location. So, when I look at
/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt I have:

DBHostName=192.168.0.246
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=<supersecretpass>