[mythtv-users] Lirc_serial + Fedora core 2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 4 12:49:31 EDT 2004

Dex West wrote:

>Can someone give me the "proper" way to get this working?  I always try to go the suggested route
>first.

Don't know if this is "proper," but it works.

>What I need is at start:
>
>setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
>modprobe lirc_serial
>
>I asked earlier this could be done in the modprobe.conf file, but didn't get any answers.

man modprobe.conf
/install

So, you need a line like:
install lirc_serial  /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none;
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

(Note, you might have to adjust the path to setserial.)

IMHO, a more "proper" way to fix it is probably to recompile your kernel
without the serial driver built in.  You could compile it as a module
(in which case you'll have to run "modprobe -r" to remove the module
instead of "setserial") or, better yet, don't compile the serial driver
since you're not using it.

HTH.

Mike