[mythtv-users] no playback

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 09:23:32 EDT 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 19:25, Nick Bradaschia wrote:
> JAC-
> Thanks for the reply.
> I do have some messages coming at me from the frontend.
> When I first start mythfrontend, I get the following:
>
> mythtv: could not connect to socket
> mythtv: No such file or directory
> lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages

These are LIRC errors.  I'm guessing you haven't set up LIRC on this
machine?  You can safely ignore them for now; it just means you can't
use an IR remote control until you get LIRC properly set up.

> and when I switch to live tv, I get:
>
> Watching Live TV
> 2004-08-02 19:00:58 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 11
>   Major opcode:  141
>   Minor opcode:  19
>   Resource id:  0x2a0000

Well, I don't know what this error indicates, specifically, but I'd
guess that at least one of your problems is video output.  What's your
video setup like? (video card, driver/version, VGA or TV-out, XFree86
or X.org ?)

Also, just to check, try playing something (any video media you have on
hand; a DVD would work) with mplayer using the following command:

	mplayer -vo xv -fs <filename>

This will make sure that mplayer tries to use the same video output
method that MythTV uses (Xvideo), so at least you'll be comparing
apples & apples, so to speak.

You could also try running mythfrontend with the following command:

	env NO_XV=1 mythfrontend

If your playback works using this method, then the problem might lie in
your video card/driver's Xv support.  Unfortunately, running this way
will probably peg your CPU, so it's not a useful long-term solution,
but it might help narrow down the problem.

> I'm not sure what they mean.  I've looked for a mythtv.conf but was
> unable to figure out where the init info is stored.  Not sure what
> the 2nd error mean either... "insufficient resources"??

There is no "mythtv.conf".  Myth gets most of its configuration data
from a MySQL database.  There is a single file, <prefix>/share/mythtv/
mysql.txt (or ${HOME}/.mythtv/mysql.txt) that tells Myth where to find
the database when it starts up.

-JAC