[mythtv-users] Quality of DVD playback NOT equal to mid-grade DVD player

Buechler, Mark R Mark_R_Buechler at bausch.com
Sun Aug 1 16:44:12 EDT 2004

Firstly, you should check to see if your modem indeed supports 720p
natively. I know my Sony projection TV claims to but it really scales the
video down to 480p. If I were you I'd change to 960x540 which is the highest
you'll get without going to interlaced modes.

Secondly, if your DVD is encoded interlaced then you'll need to tell xine to
deinterlace it. I've configured one of my remote buttons to do just that.

Yes, the modeline determines if it is interlaced or noninterlaced. If the
word "Interlaced" appears after the modeline then it's interlaced. Only the
newest Nvidia drivers support this.

Also keep in mind that the latest Nvidia drivers differ on 960x540 than
older drivers. I know for me at that resolution my TV went into 1080i mode
(which makes sense given the frequencies) but when using the newest drivers
(the ones which support interlaced modes) my TV assumes the mode to be 720p
which then gets scaled to 480p and displayed. Because of this I've switched
back to an older version.

- Mark.