[mythtv-users] Need help picking out new motherboard / cpu

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 1 14:17:52 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 10:09, Mitko Haralanov wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:39:47 -0800
> Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > There is no hardware decoder. The GF4 provides some help, but it is
> > far from full-out decode
> According to the nVidia GeForce4 MX specification, it has "Integrated
> full hardware MPEG-2 decoder". I could send you the PDF if you want to
> look at it.

I've already read it. Let me clarify my statement. There is no fully
functional hardware mpeg2 decoder on the GF4MX that'll decode HDTV streams.
To begin with, the full mpeg2 decode capabilities aren't supported by the
Linux driver. Even if they were, that doesn't mean it'll handle HDTV streams.
The PVR-350 has an mpeg2 decoder that *does* have Linux support, but it can't
do a thing with HDTV streams.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...