[mythtv-users] Anyone familiar with Shuttle computers?

Gerald Britton gbritton at doomcom.org
Mon Sep 22 12:22:38 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:14:31AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> They're good boxes, decent cooling (I've built a few, and have one on my
> desk at work).  keep in mind that they are *not* quieter than the
> average desktop - in fact, I'd say that they are as noisy as the average
> desktop (though much quieter than my dual athlon)

I've heard this is true of their AMD based boxes (and their older boxes in
general).  I have the SB61G2 (which is a P4 system).  It's far quieter than
any typical desktop machine I've ever had.  My mythtv box is currently a
Pundit (which is slightly quieter than my shuttle), but that case was a
real pain to deal with. very heavy, hard to get cards in, etc.  Reading
reviews of the shuttle cases, it seems their latest generation of cases
(starting with the SB51 or so) are -very- quiet compared to their older
ones.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1861

This is a nice one (though not quite available yet, it's very similar to
the SB61G2 I bought).  New egg has a decent selection of shuttle boxes at
reasonable prices:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=3&manufactory=1465&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

These systems can be considered somewhat of overkill for a PVR though.  If
you want to do crazy stuff requiring a lot of CPU power though, these are
probably the only way you can get it in a reasonably quiet formfactor.
FWIW, I think the 3 disk drives in my shuttle are more noticably noisy than
the fan, and those are 3 seagate barracudas.

				-- Gerald