[mythtv-users] Re:Suggestion for a feature

Jamison Wilde jamison_wilde at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 04:40:17 EDT 2003

>Are you using a serial connection or IR to control
the external >channel
>change? I use IR and mine doesn't shut off unless I
lose >power, and a UPS
>fxed that.

Not sure that you've used an Explorer, but they are IR
only.  I've gone through 4 explorers, 6 technicians, a
complete rewire, and a 'hub boost'.  Check out the
ReplayTV forum at AVSForum, search for explorer...I'm
not alone.

People have actually built devices that use light
detectors to tell when the boxes have turned
off(rebooted), that then send the ir signal to turn it
back on.

Albeit, it's not really the boxes themselves, but the
signal that causes it, but still, how hard would it
have been for them to have a setting in the explorer
that would turn itself back on after a reboot.  The
things can already turn back on for a recording.