[mythtv-users] advice for frontend/backend

James S. White james at jameswhite.org
Thu Sep 18 17:29:12 EDT 2003

As a user who has had a frontend/backend in both a Shuttle SB51G and a
Pundit, I wouls say, use the Pundit, It's cheaper, and while you can get a
second HDD in the Shuttle, Toms Hardware (and I)  had heat problems when
doing so. So I would only reccomemd one HDD in either. But both cases do
firewire, so an externel enclosure is a snap.  The Pundit also has a better
TV-Out IMHO support (I had to but a GeForce 4 for TV OUt on the shuttle)

I would get a PVR-[3|2]50 for the card, as some people are not happy
with the quality of the Nupplevideo. A PVR-250 set at 4Mbit/8Mbit
give very high quality 2 GB/Hr files that are easily mencoded into divx,
and a Seagate 120-160 Barrcuda will give you 55-75 Hours of recording TV
(with the rest of the space reserved for MythSuite's other Goodies.)

And an external drive to store your mythvideo files and divxed recordings
you wish to save. Would give you a really nice solution. The external
enclosure also give you the flexibility to have " movies on the move."
Just unplug them and go.

Not to mention the Pundit+PVR-250 is a very popular configuration, and
the setup problems you will run into will have been encountered by many
on the list. And can be answered by a lot of us. A pundit will also allow
you to have two tuners if you don't mind a little metal cutting.

So, inconclusion, (IMHO) the best bang for your buck would be:

     Pundit
     Celeron/P4 2Ghz+
     PVR-250
     512MB RAM
     Firewire  Enclosure w/cable
     Seagate Barracuda 120-160 GB (2 ea)

James S. White                      GAPS Incorporated
james at jameswhite.org                Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org           Caffeine is my anti-drug.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
                                                               -Jack Handy