[mythtv-users] advice for frontend/backend

Neil Konouchi nk at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 18 18:07:18 EDT 2003

I know it's been asked a thousand times, but in searching the archives,
it's been hard to find a solid answer. i'm looking to build a
front/backend to sit in my entertainment console. the basic ideas i've
had are the Asus Pundit, a Shuttle XPC (not sure which model), or a
homebuilt using either the Leadtek K7NCR18GM
(http://www.leadtek.com.tw/motherboard/winfast_k7ncr18gm_1.shtml) or MSI
K7N2GM
(http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php
?UID=437&MODEL=MS-6777).

I guess the questions that I'm still pondering are: what sort of
processor is the best performer for a full-fledged front/backend? What
other factors do I need to consider? Is the Shuttle going to be too
loud? Do I NEED a PVR-250 for good performance, even with a strong
processor?

For what it's worth, I've been leaning towards the Pundit with a 2.4
Celeron & PVR-250. The only thing keeping me from sealing the deal is
the single IDE channel -- I was wanting to have more than one HDD in the
unit in addition to an optical drive. The obvious solution is to use an
external optical drive, but I've been looking for something a bit more
elegant. Hence, I've been looking at systems with more than one IDE
channel, but the additional cost is making me second guess the PVR-250.
Any advice is truly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Neil Konouchi