[mythtv-users] Sound not in sync

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Sep 18 11:42:45 EDT 2003

At 06:33 PM 9/18/2003 +0200, Manuel Vazquez wrote:
[...]
> > What does "not in sync" mean, exactly? Is audio early or late? How far out
> > of sync? Does it show up in both live TV and playback of recorded material?
> > Does the problem occur right away or does the sound drift more and more out
> > of sync over time?
> >
> > If you play non-Myth video (through xine or mplayer, say) do you see
> > similar sync problems? If you watch true "live TV" using, say, xawtv, does
> > it also hae a sync problem?
>
>OK, the audio is and stays for about 2 seconds late. I checked KWinTV, it
>works fine. But I didn't record with it. Just heard the sound coming from the
>line in of my sound card. So this is working.
>I tried to play some video files with MPlayer (mpeg1 vcd, mpeg2 svcd) and
>they
>all did work properly.
>Could it be the sound card? It should be able to run in full duplex mode. I
>think there would be dropped audio parts or something like that. So the sound
>card should be ok....

I still do not fully understand your description. I understand that the
misalignment is (approximately) constant. I do not understand if it shows
up in "live" TV, playback of timed recordings, or both. Please do not leave
out details like that; it turns troubleshooting into guesswork.

When you say sound is "about 2 seconds late", do you really mean that the
audio comes *after* the video by that much, not *before*? It coming before,
on live TV, is the classic symptom of a mistake with muting, so that you
are hearing (while watching "live" TV in Myth, that is) the sound direct
from the capcard (from the line-in source of the sound card)  rather than
from playback of the ringbuffer.

If you are really recording sound two seconds later than the associated
video, you have a problem I have never even heard of before ... not with
Myth or with any other vidcap software. You need, I think, to give us a
complete description of your setup.

To answer your very last question ... I cannot comment on whether it "could
be" the sound card without knowing something about the hardware involved.
If you've supplied this info before and I missed it, I apologize ... but I
don't find it in the earlier messages I have here.