[mythtv-users] resolution discussion

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Sep 17 09:28:28 EDT 2003

At 08:24 PM 9/16/2003 -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:40 US/Pacific, Dale Weber wrote:
[...]
>>P.S.  WHY do I keep getting shut off this list for excessive bounces when I
>>         check my e-mail at LEAST once a day?
>
>It doesn't matter how often you check your mail. It matters how often your
>mail server bounces messages sent by the list server. Do you have some
>sort of mail filtering that is accidentally blocking messages from the
>list, by chance?

Jared is right, but there is a less obvious possibility too that is worth
mentioning. You may have an MX problem. Dale, your hostname has this MX
listing:

autovcr at waverly:~$ host -t MX thedynaplex.net
thedynaplex.net         MX      0 mail.zoneedit.com
thedynaplex.net         MX      0 mail2.zoneedit.com

If one of these hosts is set to relay mail on to thedynaplex.net but the
other is not, you will get bounces that -- from the viewpoint of your own
host -- have no rhyme or reason, since they will depend solely on which of
these hosts gets selected by a sending MTA.

But good mailing list software -- like Mailman -- will see and react to the
bounces ... usually automatically, so the unsubscribe is done without
anyone at the list end seeing the bounces (trust me -- list managers do not
have time to read piles of bounce messages).

I really have encountered people with this specific problem (a
misconfigured MX relay) in the recent past, though I've no way of knowing
how common it is. If it is a problem, the only possible fixes are from your
end, and they are:

A. Get the ISP to fix its relay settings.
B. Start accepting mail directly at thedynaplex.net ilstead of using the MX
relay.
C. Subscribe to the list from a different e-mail address, one that does not
have this problem.

In any case, since mail to you does not go directly to your server (or
workstation), you need to take into account the possibility of some problem
-- either the one I suggested or some unknown problem -- at one or both of
these other servers.