[mythtv-users] OT: FCC adopts 'plug and play' cable for TVs

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 12 01:41:07 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 12:44 US/Pacific, linux at keithandjill.com
wrote:

> Here's an example of my point :
> I currently get analog cable with 70ish channels.  I get 6 HD stations
> over the air (NBC, ABC, CBS,
> PBS, UPN, Fox) with my TV's built in HD decoder.  I'm paying
> <$40/month for cable.

I've been paying ~$45/mo for digital cable w/2 STBs (Motorola
DCT2000s). I can't get much of anything broadcast without an expensive
outdoor aerial...

> To get HD channels on my cable, I would pay $60/month, and would get a
> single network (CBS, I
> think), discovery and one other (might be HDNet).  And I would need a
> digital HD cable box ($500)
> from Motorola.  2 premium movie channels have HD versions, but I don't
> subscibe to those.

I just found out Comcast (Seattle area) charges nothing extra for HD,
versus what I've been paying. All I paid is $16.00 for the tech trip
charge, and had one DCT2000 swapped out for a Motorola DCT5100
yesterday (didn't have to purchase it either; they furnished it). The
5100 kicks ass... MUCH faster menus and info boxes, optical and coax
digital out, component video to the TV, and more... This is probably
the best $16.00 I've ever spent!

> Sorry for the rant, but someone mentioned cable and I've been itching
> to jump on the soapbox
> lately.  It's just so painful to get what you want from cable.

No complaints here. Comcast's HD channels look awesome, though I'm
hankerin' for more of 'em, now that I've had a taste...

> Once someone figures out how to
> combine the pcHDTV and PVR-250 in a single MythTV box, I'll have my 6
> HD channels and my
> analog cable all in one place.  Ah, mythical convergence, indeed!

I'm gonna be working on that myself soon... Though I'm a dumb-ass and
didn't read that the pcHDTV only worked w/terrestrial broadcast HD, and
I'm thinking I won't be able to get much of a useable signal...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...