[mythtv-users] ntpd causing frontend crash?

Steve Joiner steve at daisyhill.net
Fri Sep 5 00:39:22 EDT 2003

I've setup my first myth box based on the following hardware:

Asus A7n266-VM
Athlon XP 2400
512 MB RAM
Seagate 160 GB HD
2 Hauppauge Freestyle cards

I'm running RH9, the latest atrpms kernel, and myth from CVS last
weekend.

Everything is working for the most part except that my front end crashes
from time to time.  Today, my frontend segfaulted at approximately 3:30
PM, but my backend was running along happily.

I found the following in /var/log/messages:

Sep  4 15:18:33 localhost ntpd[1195]: synchronisation lost
Sep  4 15:29:05 localhost ntpd[1195]: time reset 0.198043 s
Sep  4 15:29:05 localhost ntpd[1195]: synchronisation lost

I found the following thread in the archives that talks a little about
this issue:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?guest=1125764&t=search_engine&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_latest_reply%3Bso%3DASC%3Bpost%3D74501=View+Flat+Mode#74501

but it didn't really help me out much.

Has anyone seen this?  Any ideas on how to fix it?  Isaac posted that it
is a "non-issue if your hardware a) works, or b) you're semi-intelligent
about when you schedule your ntp updates."  Can someone enlighten me on
how to be semi-intelligent about my ntp updates?

Thanks,
Steve