[mythtv-users] Remotes, irxevent and menu navigation

Rob Nielsen rob at roblisa.com
Tue Sep 2 14:20:24 EDT 2003

Joe Votour wrote:

> I am willing to submit a patch, as long as there is
> some consensus as to how the patch should handle
> things - should I just reassign the keys that handle
> left/right in all of the menus to the volume controls,
> or should I just allow both sets of keys to work?  My
> main concern is other modules and software that they
> might interact with (mplayer, for example uses
> Left/Right to FF/REW).  Of course, if none of this
> can't be worked out, then I won't bother.
>
> Now, I admit, I'm going to sound like I'm at work
> here, but perhaps some sort of UI guidelines should be
> set for MythTV.  That would define standard keys for
> certain functions, new functions can be added as a
> module needs them.

The best option I can see would be to allow the keys to be configurable
so you would have a file or database table that maps keypresses to
actions like 'Volume Up' or 'Exit' in myth.  Then the user can tweak his
keys as desired.  One key might fire several actions or several keys
could fire the same action.  For example a 'Left Arrow' keypress could
map to 'UI Left' and 'Rewind'  with the actual action taken depending on
context.  With the native lirc support, you might even be able to map
the remote buttons straight onto the actions, bypassing keys altogether.

Just some thoughts.
Cheers,
Rob.