[mythtv-users] DVB

Tue Oct 28 13:44:22 EST 2003

> I understand DVB-input is relatively new to the project. How well does it
> handle it currently? Especially if faced with two cards. Can it
> simultaneously record from one while watching a different channel? Will

Yes, a chap called Kenneth Aafløy has spent a lot of time overhauling the DVB code, and it was checked into CVS about two days ago.  At least for me it works very well with two DVB cards, although there are still a few gremlins with unsynchronised sound and other effects which seem to indicate mpeg timestamps going missing

> it - for extra points - even record two or more programmes from the second
> card at the same time if they share the same transponder?

Sadly not.  Myth architecture currently rather expects each tuner card to be busy or free, and it will take little bit of reworking to make this happen.  However, the actual backend code should (in theory) handle multiple channels from a single card, if and when the scheduler is altered to allow this.

> If the answer is no: How hard would it be to implement such a "maximum
> coverage"-feature? I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty on code but
> maybe someone familiar with the architecture could give a short assessment
> on the feasability.

I'm araid you are going to have to get your hands dirty to find out.  It's not a trivial tweak for sure, but such contributions would be gratefully appreciated.

I should take a look at the scheduler code where it tries to find a free recorder.  This appears to need to be parameterised with a channel, so that it can actually decide whether it is free or not.

Good luck

Ed W