[mythtv-users] Re: # apt-get install ivtv gives segmentation faults and failed reboot

Romel Llarena rdllarena at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 20:45:31 EST 2003

You should check why those segfaults happen. Haven't
seen any such reports. Seems like a broken kde lib.

I'm not familiar enough with Linux to check segfaults.
One work around is to launch the app prior to loading
nvidia-graphics-glx.

> 8a. "Parse error on line 9 of Section ServerLayout
in
> file /etc/X11/XF86config.

> Add
> ModulePath
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
> ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
> ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
> to /etc/X11/XF86Config in ServerLayout and
> remove/comment the dri module.

Sorry that is an error, these lines belong to Section
"Files", not "ServerLayout".

I made the changes. X still doesn't work, but at least
your suggested changes fix the Parse error. This is
the new error that I'm getting and suspect have been
getting these past few weeks when attempting to
install the nvidia driver:

NV: Could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl (no
such file or direct
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting *** module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Screen(s) found, but none have a
usable config.

I login in failsafe mode. Use my backup copy of
XF86Config, but once again when I login and prior to
KDE loading, I get the "Could not start kdeinit. Check
yur installation" error. I can only resolve it by
running rpm -e nvidia-graphics-glx in failsafe mode.

Very strange.

Also, are the apt-get packages updated to .12? I would
like to move-on for now and complete my myth install
but as of this morning, I'm only finding .11 specific
directories when I ran the apt-get mythsuite.

Thanks! So very close.