[mythtv-users] problems installing on redhat9 w/apt

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 25 18:50:35 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 17:16 US/Pacific, Alex Strasheim wrote:

> I'm trying to install mythtv for the first time.  I'm not a redhat
> guy, but
> to simply things I'm using these instructions:
>
> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
>
> which I found in a letter in linux journal.

I'm the guilty party that wrote both the letter and the document you're
reading... :)

> # apt-get install myth-suite
>
> fails.  I searched the list, and found that other people have had the
> same
> problem.
>
> I kept trying to install the sub packages that were failing, to get
> better
> error messages, and the problem seems to be with lirc.  There's a
> dependency
> that tells apt that lirc is needed, but apt doesn't seem to know where
> get lirc.

Aha... Okay, it would appear that for some reason, Axel's MythTV rpms
are now depending on a different lirc than the one at FreshRPMs
(namely, the one at ATrpms). The correct one is only available in the
at-bleeding channel, which isn't enabled by default.

> I don't know much about redhat, or rpm, or how the system keeps
> dependencies
> straight with rpm and apt on the same system.  I saw a post from
> someone who
> said he installed a lirc rpm, and it worked.  If I follow suit, is it
> going
> to mess me up?

No, that should be just fine. Was the dep on a specific version of lirc?

A massive update to that guide is in progress, due to get posted soon
(I know, I'm already late with it, but I've been busy...).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...