[mythtv-users] problems installing on redhat9 w/apt

Alex Strasheim alex at strasheim.org
Sat Oct 25 20:16:14 EDT 2003

I'm trying to install mythtv for the first time.  I'm not a redhat guy, but
to simply things I'm using these instructions:

which I found in a letter in linux journal.

# apt-get install myth-suite

fails.  I searched the list, and found that other people have had the same
problem.

I kept trying to install the sub packages that were failing, to get better
error messages, and the problem seems to be with lirc.  There's a dependency
that tells apt that lirc is needed, but apt doesn't seem to know where to
get lirc.

I don't know much about redhat, or rpm, or how the system keeps dependencies
straight with rpm and apt on the same system.  I saw a post from someone who
said he installed a lirc rpm, and it worked.  If I follow suit, is it going
to mess me up?