[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 20 12:44:02 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 08:54 US/Pacific, Vinton Coffman wrote:

> > Oy, that's some ugliness. I've had dual recordings going, watching
> > another one, and no problems. ACPI is also enabled. This is a Red
> > Hat/ATrpms 2.4.20 kernel (remember, RH back-ports like mad). Out of
> > curiosity, why didn't you ever try the Red Hat kernels?!? The whole
> > experience has been painless for me, though perhaps it wouldn't have
> > been w/an earlier BIOS...
>
> I like having control over what modules are built into the kernel or
> built as modules.

Well, you can do that from Red Hat source also...

> Kernels at kernel.org have all of the changes listed so if you're
> looking for something to get fixed or have support added, its easy to
> find.

Red Hat also has detailed kernel changelogs...

> The kernels are most likely available sooner since I heard someone say
> RH back ports changes to earlier kernels.

That was me that said Red Hat back-ports stuff. However, let me further
clarify/qualify that. Some of the stuff Red Hat "back-ports" is
actually stuff *they* produced (Red Hat has some major kernel guys on
staff). They get the stuff into their own kernels, like the current
2.4.20 kernel series for RHL9, and then submit those additions to the
official kernel tree. The features are actually in Red Hat's kernel
*before* they're in the official source.

But then some things they do back-port from other contributors.
However, they'll often back-port from the dev kernel also (like the
2.4.23pre branch), and have those features into their kernels before
they are in a kernel.org "release" kernel.

> As I mentioned earlier, I use RH for work so I'm always building
> custom kernels to make sure specific chipsets and options are > included.

Hm... I usually find custom building kernels a waste of time.

There are reasons I would build a custom kernel, but generally, there's
no reason to, and the benefits are far outweighed by the disadvantages.
I stick to stock Red Hat kernels whenever possible, but anyhow... :)

> > The ATC-620 has better LEDs (rather, it has two to the 610's one, a
> > power and an HD activity) and front-panel audio jacks. It also comes
> in
> > the different colors. I have the ATC-620C-BX1 (black) variety. If I'm
> > recalling correctly, the 610 also has a sorta flimsy shiny plastic
> > shell, while the 620 has a nice solid powder-coated metal shell,
> which
> > I personally like much better (far more durable, less distracting).
>
> The main difference between the two is the 610 has all aluminum case
> w/ a brush anodized face plate and cost about $109 at newegg.com.  The
> shell is aluminum and does have a glossy black metal-flake finish.
> The glossy finish is not noticeable if you're putting it in a
> entertainment center.  The 620 is steel construction with the brushed
> aluminum face plate and costs ~$80 but newegg doesn't  have it.

I seem to recall that directron.com does have stock of the 620 though.
Just checked, yes they do have it, $88.99.

http://www.directron.com/atc620.html

> Neither come with a power supply so its not a cheap solution but
> either will look great.

Yes, definitely not cheap, but looks very good in my A/V rack. You
can't easily tell it is a computer. It was worth the cost for me (plus,
my wife hated the previous case, because she could tell it was a
computer, both on appearance and noise; she doesn't complain anymore).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...