[mythtv-users] Backend 3000 miles away (kinda)

Joshua Goldenhar joshuag29 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 16 12:48:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 11:16, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 11:10, Donald A. Cook wrote:
> > Thanks Jamie and Ian for the pointers.
> >
> > The one question I have remaining is the serial cable.  Should it be a
> > straight-through, null-modem, or special built.
>
> Straight through.
>
> 	-I

Hey all -

I'm trying to gain an understanding for this...

I have a Motorola DCT2244 digital cable box with a serial port on the
back.

I had purchased an the ACTiSYS IR200 thinking I had to have it, but it
sounds like I might be able to just run the serial cable from the myth
box to the cable box to control channels - but this is where I get a
little confused...

What do you do with lirc? Do you have to recompile and tell it to use
com1 instead of the (in my case) hauppauge ir device?

If so, then how does the system respond to the hauppauge remote (is the
answer "it doesn't")? Does the cable box send any IR codes it receives
TO the mythTV box - in which case I only use the remote that came with
the cable box?

Thanks,

Josh