[mythtv-users] mythgame and browsing long rom lists

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Oct 15 09:40:47 EDT 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:
|>This is something I've been thinking about recently, and would be
willing to
|>work on, for mythmusic.  I have roughly 11,000 mp3's (all categorized by
|>artist->album), and it's a pain to browse these by one long list of
artists.
|>While it's helpful that you can jump through the list by letter, I've
always
|>wondered if a program-finder-type browse mode would be more helpful...  is
|>this already being worked on or thought about?
|

| I ripped all my CD's and feel somewhat similarly.  However, I think
part of the answer is to get the genre stuff working for you.  Use only
a fairly small subset of genre tags (think more like "mood" tags)

| Have a look at a couple of decent tagging programs - easytag seems to
be the best under linux, but there are better things available for
windows (perhaps run under wine?)

| The main thing then would be to have multiple root nodes in the
listing tree, one for each type of sort order, eg "by genre", "by
artist", etc.

| Would this not work for you?

Thanks for the idea. Fortunately, it seems Thor has added the functions
to move by pages instead of lines only, it's in CVS.

Unfortunately, my mind isn't as sharp as some others, I guess. The more
categories I sort things into, the harder things are to find for me. Not
only do I need to remember the name of the game, but then also which
category I would have filed it under. I end up looking in several places
until I find it.

The most categorization I want to use for this is by system. I don't
want to have to remember more than the name of the game and what kind of
system it ran on. Sometimes that's not even enough, I catch myself
forgetting whether a game was MAME, NES, or Genesis. ;) If know the
name, it's quick to find alphabetically either by sorting by alpha or
just quickly paging to the name. Sorting by genre or anything more just
gets in my way.

I'm not saying sorting in other ways is useless, I'm just saying it's
not my way of doing it. :) I do the same thing with my music. I only
want to remember the artist name, I can find anything quickly this way
unless I'm limited to moving line by line. :)