[mythtv-users] Jarod's config w/ a LIRC change, newbie question

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 12:41:43 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 06:28 US/Pacific, Woody Sturges wrote:

> My problem is that I have a Dish Network box (no serial connection),
> so I cannot control this box without building my own IR transmitter.
> I built the circuit on the lirc site, but the lirc that I installed
> from ATrpms evidently doesn't have the 'transmit' function turned on.
> (Something about recompiling it specifying --with-transmit).
>
> I downloaded the lirc source and tried to compile it, but I get:
>
> [...]
> DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/; make SUBDIRS=$DIR
> obj-m=lirc_serial.o modules)
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/scripts/pathdown.sh: line 4:
> TOPDIR: parameter null or not set
> [...]

The ATrpms kernels are patched with i2c-2.8.0, and lirc won't compile
without a patch to deal with the i2c changes.

> Can I do everything on Jarod's howto, except the lirc stuff, then
> compile lirc with the transmit option?

Yes.

> Then I'll be able to have MythTV control my dish box.  I'll go out and
> buy a wireless keyboard/mouse to replace the gray Hauppage remote.
> Assuming this can work, what do I need to do to get lirc to compile
> with the ATrpms kernel loaded via the howto?

Either install the ATrpms lirc .src.rpm file and go from there, or
download the lirc source directly, and the appropriate patch from
http://delvare.free.fr/i2c/ (there are different patches for 0.6.6 and
0.7.0pre). The .src.rpm includes the patch, so in theory, you'd just
need to do some spec file editing to get your own lirc rpm, but if you
aren't familiar with spec files, it might be easier to just get the
source and the patch yourself and build/install from source.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...